Friday, November 4, 2011

Reality Check



A friend of mine, Randy Singer, says, “Few musicians get to be Whitney, Britney, Jessica, Janet, Mariah, or even Toots, Outkast, Benson, Pavarotti, or Paul McCartney, but it is possible to stay busy on the local or worldwide level where life may not be as glamorous but where there is no shortage of work.”


Randy Singer, 2004, “The Musician’s Handbook,” chapter 1, page 1.


From what I can see, Randy has done a really good job with that concept. He’s the music director of a great jazz club (The Van Dyke Café) on Lincoln Road (Miami Beach). You can also catch him most nights at various clubs, performing all over the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area. He is a great singer and an accomplished jazz harmonica player. He has recorded and played all over. And the Van Dyke Café has hosted top of the line jazz players for years. In his handbook, he says that he has supported himself solely on music for ten years. Of course, that was 2004, so now we’re looking at almost twenty years! Randy is a great guy, but I would be willing to bet that most of my readers probably haven’t heard of him. The reality is,…. You don’t have to be “well known” to generate decent income from performing.



For anyone who is trying to find a gig and working a day job that you don’t really like, the concept of making a living solely on music sounds like heaven! But it’s not just being in the right place at the right time. You have to be resourceful. Try to network with the musicians who are playing a lot. Reach out and contact some restaurant and club owners and managers and try to find out the types of music they like to present in their venues. Go out as a fan of music and check out musicians, as well as the venues and audiences. And, make sure you tip the performers. I always make sure that I catch their eye and give a little applaud and then slide a buck or two in their tip jar. I consider that a demo for all the people sitting in the audience. It’s like,….. “If you like the music, give them a tip!” As for me, I will do it, even if the music is not working for me. I consider it Karma!



You can also create opportunities for yourself. I found out about a Women’s Expo in Port St Lucie, Florida, by looking through the listings on Craigslist. Port St Lucie is a very nice South Florida city, about an hour north of me. I reached out to the coordinator of the expo and asked to perform in exchange for an exhibitor’s booth. So, next Sunday, I’ll be singing at the 2011 Port St Lucie, Women’s Expo and marketing myself at an exhibitor’s table afterward. What a great way to get some free advertising and pass out some business cards,  just in time for all of those upcoming holiday parties! Hmmm! Maybe I should wear a tux......



*************************************************


Would you like to make your own Hip Hop, House, R&B, New Age, Trance or Jazz Music? Check out Dub Turbo!


Click the link below!

No comments:

Post a Comment